Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Talking Talkies: The Aristocrats

A family affair
A documentary which is not to be confused with the Disney animation of a similar name (cos you sure as hell don't want to take your kids to see this one).

Directed by Paul Provenza, it's basically 100 comedians infront of a DV camera telling, commenting and over-analysing what could be one of the world's filthiest jokes. A joke which is like a secret handshake between comedians, who add their own twist and take to it.

And what a joke it is. In it's purest form it goes as follows... (if you don't want to know the scores, look away now)



A man walks into a talent agent's office
Man: I've got an act involving me and my family which will blow you away
Talent agent: Okay, what do you do?

(Improv here, describing the act)(...usually involving scatology, incest, beastiality, et al)

Talent agent: That's horrible! What do you call yourselves?
Man: (with flourish) The Aristocrats



The improvised bit of the joke can achieve each and every single shade of wrong there is under the sun. If you want, look at the above spoiler.

However, the renditions are quite funny, alot of which absolutely hilarious. Robbin Williams, Whoopi Goldburg, Jon Stewart and even the South Parks kids, among others, offer their own twist on the joke. Watch for the performances by the mime, the card shark and the ventriloquist. Classic stuff.

However, there are a few downsides. The movie kinda bogs itself down with some of the interpretations, which don't match the quality of some others. The fact that the comedians seem to over-analyse the jokes almost like an English essay kills some of the buzz of the joke, ultimately slowing down the movie slightly. The editing, also, is very choppy. And let's not mention the nature of the jokes. Nasty.

Overall, though, if you aren't easily offended, you can look forward to watching quite a hilarious movie.

3.5 star.

Btw, if you want my version of the joke, look at the comments.

2 comments:

The Iron Yuppie said...

A man walks into a talent agency
Man: I've got an act that will blow you away
Agent: Okay, what do you do.
Man: Well my wife, my two kids and my pet dog walk on stage. They all then lie down on stage and open their mouths. I walk on stage, pull my pants down and then I give them all teabags. Each and every one of them. My wife, kids and dog. I teabag all of them.
Would you like a demonstration?
Agent: (pause) Okay then
(Five minutes later)
Agent: (pulls out a cigar and smokes it) That...was amazing.
Man: Thanks. I do good work.
Agent: I know. That was a great cup of tea. And the way you game me the teabag. Pure magic. I don't get the pants bit though...
Man: We're an abstract act.
Agent: Okay then. What do you call yourselves?
Man: The English Breakfast Expreience.
Agent: Well, normally I would sign you guys up. Right now, though, we're puting all our effort into this one act. You'll love it. This family, exactly like yours, f*** eachother senseless. The parents, the kids, even the dog. They finish by shitting all over the stage and swimming in it. They call themselves The Aristocrats.

Anonymous said...

You do realise it has been 6 months since you last updated?